The Mauritius Museums Council is a body corporate, established by the Mauritius Museums Council Act 2000 to replace the Mauritius Institute.The Mauritius Museums Council is responsible for the management of the Public Museums Service under the aegis of the Ministry of Arts and Culture.
The objectives of the Mauritius Museums Council are:
. Formulate policies in the field of museology
· Develop and promote National and specialized museums
· Operate and monitor the affairs of museums and coordinate their activities
· Develop and maintain a National Collection comprising specimens and objects of scientific, cultural, technological, historical, archaeological and artistic values.
· Inform public on the activities of the Council
· Promote the use of council's resources for educational purposes and for research.
The activities of the Mauritius Museums Council include:
· Museums visits
· Education programme for schools temporary exhibitions
· Projection of documentaries, video shows
· Archaeological survey and excavation
· Publication of Mauritius Institute Bulletin
· Event celebration
· Identification of specimens
· Sale of publications, postcards
· Conservation of work
· Documentation of the national heritage.